Paul St. East is a new student living space in London’s popular Shoreditch quarter, offering contemporary premium apartments in one of the city’s most coveted locations. Our rooms range from private studios to cluster penthouse apartments, all with high-speed 100MB broadband provision and Wi-Fi. We also provide our students with shared social and study areas, big-screen TVs and private courtyard garden. We have everything you’ll need in a new home, from a fully equipped fitness suite to round-the-clock security for peace of mind, all right in the vibrant heart of East London.
Our residents’ welfare is extremely important, so we offer round-the-clock assistance. Paul St. East has a dedicated Management Office open Monday to Friday offering a first-class service, and a team of Caretakers is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year round. Paul St. East also ensures students’ safety with door entry and intercom systems, and CCTV cameras for added security. Our students can relax safe in the knowledge they’re in a comfortable, protected environment.
Where does Host have accommodation?
We are based in university cities across the UK and Europe. To view our UK locations, check out the Locations page on the website.
Can I view a room before I make a booking?
At Paul St. East, the marketing suite is open Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm. If you are unable to attend during these times, please contact the Management Office as we may be able to offer a viewing at a time that better suits you. You can contact Paul St. East by phoning 020 3475 5980, emailing or by calling into the office during opening hours.
Do you have summer accommodation?
Paul St. East has rooms available for summer bookings. Please contact the on-site management team who will be able to provide you with the latest availability and rates.
Making a Booking
How do I make a booking?
The easiest way to book is online at, clicking on either the “Book Now” or “Book your student accommodation” link. Here you can choose the hall you would like to apply for and then follow simple steps to provide us with all the information we need to process the booking. If you chose to pay in installments, you will need to send us details of a UK guarantor, for whom specific documents are required. Please check with your guarantor to ensure that he/she is able to provide these documents, as Host will not confirm your booking until all information is returned to us and the initial rent payment has been made.
Do I have to be a student to live at Host?
To take out a tenancy with us, you need to be eligible for council tax exemption. This applies to all full-time students and some part-time students, if you are unsure, your university or college should be able to tell you if you are exempt.
Can I live with my friends?
When making your booking, you can request to be allocated to a room close to a friend. We will try our best to fulfil your requests, however we cannot guarantee such requests, as they are dependent on availability at the time of booking.
Can two people share a room with a double bed in it?
Many of the studios/flats at Paul St. East contain full sized double beds and are therefore suitable for couples. Please ask the management team for more information.
If I book by myself, how will you allocate me a room?
We look at the room type you have requested, your year of study, gender and any other preferences. Host will try to allocate you to a flat suitable to your situation and preferences, however it is not always possible for us to meet your requests.
have some requests for my room – will you guarantee them?
You can state any requests you have when you fill in your application form. Whilst we will try our best to fulfill these requests, we cannot guarantee to do so. If you have any specific concerns regarding your tenancy, please contact the Management Office.
Can I live at Host for more than one year?
Yes, it is possible for you to stay at Host throughout your studies. Bookings are taken on a first-come, first-served basis, so be sure to re-book as soon as possible.
What are the terms and conditions of the tenancy agreement?
A copy of the standard Paul St. East tenancy agreement can be downloaded from this website. Upon arrival, all residents will receive a copy of their tenancy agreement.
Can I cancel my contract before I move in?
If you cancel your contract before the contract begins, you will be subject to our cancellation terms and charges. The cancellation policy can be downloaded from this website. Cancellations will only be accepted upon receipt of a completed cancellation form. Please contact the Paul St. East Management Office to request a form.
Can I cancel my contract and move out early?
If another tenant is found to take over your tenancy, Host will agree to release you from your contract. You will be required to pay an administration charge. You must vacate your room and return the keys to the Management Office. You will be refunded any overpaid rent after you have moved out. This refund will be calculated based on the date the new tenant takes up occupation of the room, not the date you move out. Should no replacement tenant be found for your room, you would be liable for the rent for the duration of your Tenancy Agreement.
Moving In
What do I need to bring with me on arrival?
Make sure you have your accommodation booking confirmation, as well as some form of photo ID, such as a passport, ID card or driving licence. If, during the booking process, you have been asked to bring any additional items, make sure you have them with you as you will need to produce them before your keys can be issued.
Is there somewhere to park when I am unpacking?
Paul St. East does not have any parking facilities on site. Management staff will be able to direct you to local car parks. Limited parking is available on the surrounding streets.
Will there be someone to collect my keys from?
Host has staff on site 24 hours a day. At the start of contract we have extended opening hours and you are advised to arrive when the office is open. However if you arrive when the office is closed, instructions outside our office will advise you how to contact the member of staff on duty.
What happens on moving-in day?
You will be welcomed on arrival in our Management Office by a member of Host staff. You will be asked to sign a fire safety agreement and provide any documents that may be outstanding. After this, we will issue you with a welcome pack, which contains all the information you need to live at Paul Street East, and then you will be shown to your room.
What if I am not happy with my allocated room or my flatmate?
Part of the university experience is meeting people from different backgrounds, interests and cultures and we hope that you will enjoy the diversity of university life. However, should you be unhappy, it is worth spending some time talking to your flatmates to try to come to a mutually agreeable solution. It is usually not possible for a room move, unless an empty room is available. It is important to remember that moving to university is a stressful time and any initial teething problems are often resolved within the first few weeks.
Will I be able to change rooms after I have arrived?
It is not usually possible to change rooms after you have arrived. All rooms are allocated on a 51-week contract, so unless another resident also requests a room swap we would be unable to change your room.
Living at Paul St. East
Can I move in before my contract starts?
Accommodation is booked on 51-week contracts, so it is unlikely you will be able to move in early. However, it is always worth checking with the on-site Management Team.
What cooking equipment is provided in my flat?
All studio/flat kitchens come with a twin electric hob, combination microwave and oven, fridge-freezer and kettle. You will need to supply all other kitchen utensils.
Is bedding supplied?
Bedding is not supplied at Paul St. East.
Is there a telephone in my flat?
All flats have an intercom in the hallway. Calls between flats, to the Management Office and between most other Host Halls are free. To call out, residents are provided with an individual pin on request, call credit is purchased in advance and calls are charged on a pay-as-you-go basis by internet service provider Ask4.
What are the broadband packages?
A high speed 100MB broadband connection is provided to every room at Host free of charge. Our service provider Ask4 also offers residents additional add-ons for TV, gaming and back-up. All residents wishing to use the internet services must sign up to the terms and conditions of use.
How do I connect to the internet?
You can connect via Wi-Fi or a Cat 5 patch cable. If you don’t have the cable, you can buy one from the Reception. You can connect to the internet in the hall’s public spaces via Wi-Fi. Alternatively a Cat 5 patch cable will be required to connect to the internet. These can be purchased from the Reception. A Pre-arrival website is available to help you to connect if you need it. If you have any questions or problems, dedicated telephone support teams are available. To contact ASK4 with pre-arrival queries or assistance when you move in, visit YOUR INTERNET website or call the support team on: 0114 303 3232 (Skype: 0114 303 3232). Alternatively, text ‘help me’ to: 07797 800 545 (Skype: 07797 800 545) to receive a call back. Or email:
Is a TV provided?
Flat screen TV’s are provided in each of the common rooms. There is a Sky package, as well as all the usual Freeview channels. If are watching live TV in your studio, you will need a TV licence. You can find information about TV licensing at
What TV channels are provided?
Host has a selection of TV channels from Freeview.
Can I park my car on site?
There are no parking spaces for cars, motorbikes or scooters available on-site for students.
Where can I store my bicycle?
Storage for your bike is available at Paul St. East. We strongly advise that you purchase a good quality bike lock and storage is at the owner's risk. Bikes may not be stored within the building.
Is there always a member of staff on site?
All our residences are staffed 24-hours a day, 7 days a week by trained Caretakers or security guards.
What are the opening hours of the Management Office?
The Management Office is open Monday to Thursday between 9am and 6pm, Friday between 9am-5pm, and closed on weekends and Bank Holidays.
What about security?
We provide 24-hour security with CCTV, electronic access control and a member of staff on site at all times. Our residents also have a responsibility for ensuring the site is kept secure and are asked to ensure that accommodation remains safe by not allowing access to non-residents and reporting anything suspicious to staff immediately.
What happens if I have a maintenance issue?
If you have a maintenance issue, you should report it to the Management Office.
What happens once I have reported maintenance?
Details of the issue will be recorded in our maintenance book and the Caretaker on duty will try to fix the problem on the same day, however this is not always possible. Repairs are responded to on a priority basis, please be aware that it may not be possible to attend to your problem the same day you report it, especially at busy times of the year. Occasionally, a maintenance issue may require multiple visits or for contractors to attend the site. You will always be kept informed regarding such issues and we will try to fix the problem as quickly and with as little disruption to you as possible.
How do I report emergency maintenance overnight or at weekends?
If you have a maintenance problem that needs urgent assistance when the Management Office is closed, you should contact the member of staff on site. The phone number is provided within your welcome information and notice boards within your studio or flat. We will respond to your problem and do whatever is possible to resolve the issue, but it may not always be possible to complete the repair out of office hours.
Where can I do my laundry?
Washing machines and tumble driers are available in the Student Laundry, provided by Circuit Laundry. You will need to buy a laundry top-up card from the dispensing machine in the Student Laundry at a cost of £5. You can then visit the Circuit Laundry website (web address is on the card) and register your credit/debit card in order to top-up your balance. You will then receive a code to enter into the top-up machine in the laundry room. Once your balance has been loaded onto your card, you can use the machines as per the instructions provided. You will need to provide your own washing powder and detergents. You can also see live information on which machines are available on the Circuit Laundry website.
Where can I collect my post?
Letters will be kept in your studio/flat post box at Reception. Please come to Reception and ask a member of staff and they will be able to give you your post. Parcels and any mail that requires a signature will be signed for by Host staff without liability and stored in the post room until you collect it.
Who is responsible for cleaning my studio/flat?
It is the responsibility of the tenant to keep their studio/flat clean and in good order. Management Staff will conduct inspections throughout the year and any issues relating to cleanliness will be addressed. Failure to meet the required cleanliness standards will result in external cleaning contractors being brought in, the cost of which will be passed onto the resident(s). At the end of the tenancy, the studio/flat must be returned in a good, clean condition to avoid cleaning charges. All communal areas will be cleaned regularly by Host staff.
Can I smoke at Host?
Smoking is not permitted in any area within Paul St. East.
Can I decorate my room?
You are responsible for ensuring that you leave your room and flat in the same condition that is was given to you. You will be asked to complete and return an inventory to record the condition of your room upon arrival. Marks, including those caused by blu-tack, white-tack or pins, will require painting once you have left and you may be charged in line with our advertised schedule of charges.
Can I have guests to stay?
Overnight guests are permitted, provided the number does not exceed three guests at any one time for a maximum of two nights per week. All overnight guests must be signed in at Reception for safety, security and so that staff know who is on site in the event of an emergency. As a resident of Paul St. East you must accompany your guests at all times whilst they are on site and you are responsible for their behaviour.
Are there any guest rooms on site that I can book?
No, Host does not have guest rooms.
Can visitors just walk in?
Our accommodation has doors at the entrances to ensure that only residents have access to the site. Visitors will need to contact Reception or yourself to gain access. All visitors should be signed in at Reception, this is for reasons of safety, security and to ensure that in the event of an emergency, Management know who is on site. Visitors must be accompanied by residents at all times whilst on site.
Can I bring a pet?
No pets of any type are permitted at Host.
What if I have a complaint?
We hope that you never have reason to be dissatisfied with the service we provide. However, if you have any issues that you would like to discuss with us, please contact a member of staff in your Management Office, and they will endeavour to resolve the problem for you
Do I pay a deposit?
Host does not take any deposits. The payment you make upon booking is a rental payment.
What are the payment method options?
You can pay your rent by credit/debit card. It is also possible for payments to be made by bank transfer, but you will need to make arrangements with the Management Office for this, as usually your rent will be automatically taken using the details you provided upon booking. You can choose to pay your rent in one payment on the due date in place before the contract starts. If you choose to pay in instalments, you will need to provide a UK guarantor, who is in full time employment, to support your application.
Do I need a guarantor?
All UK students can choose to pay in instalments as long as they can provide a UK guarantor. If you can not provide a guarantor you will need to pay the full year rent upon booking your accommodation.
I do not live in the UK – how can I pay my rent?
If you do not live in the UK and do not have a UK guarantor, you will need to pay for your rent in full. You can arrange to do this either by credit/debit card, or bank transfer. Please be aware that if paying by cheque or bank transfer, the bank will usually deduct charges from the amount you send us and you will need to pay the full amount due before you can move in.
Can I pay my rent with my student loan?
Please note that we don’t wait on student loans and payments will need to be made on the due dates.
What should I do if I am having financial difficulties?
Please contact a member of the Management immediately. Failure to do so could result in interest charges being added to your account if you fail to pay on the due dates, as well as legal proceedings against you and, where applicable, your guarantor. Management staff can usually advise you of where to go to get additional financial help that may assist you in meeting your financial obligations.
What if I change my bank account or card details?
Please notify a member of Management Staff immediately with any new details to ensure your rent is taken on the due date and to avoid any unnecessary charges.
Can I pay with foreign currency or travellers cheques?
Host cannot accept foreign currency or travellers cheques as payment. The safest and simplest way for international students to make a payment is by credit/debit card or bank transfer.
How can I find out how much I owe?
Contact a member of the Management Team who will be able to advise you of payment amounts and dates due.
What if I don’t pay?
If you don’t pay your rent, daily interest may be added to the amount you owe to us. Your guarantor will be contacted and will be asked to pay the amount that you owe. Host will commence legal proceedings against any resident who fails to pay the rent due. These proceeding will also include action against the resident’s guarantor.
Do I need to pay council tax?
If you are a student in full-time education you will be exempt from Council Tax.
Do I have to pay any utility bills?
Our rents are inclusive of electricity and no charge is made for water.
Is there a charge for the internet?
A high-speed connection is provided to your room free of charge. Should you wish to upgrade to a faster connection, you should contact our internet provider and payments can be made online.
Do I need a TV licence?
Host does not supply a TV licence for the television supplied in the communal TV viewing area of your flat. Should you bring a television for your bedroom or access TV through your internet connection, you will need to arrange for an additional TV licence. Please contact TV Licensing for further details.
How do I make an insurance claim?
Basic insurance cover is provided for each resident. Details of your cover are provided in your welcome pack. Should you wish to make an insurance claim, you will need to contact the insurance company directly.
Moving out
What do I need to do before I move out?
You are expected to ensure that your room and flat are returned in good condition at the end of your contract. You must make sure that all areas within the flat are cleaned thoroughly and that all rubbish and unwanted items are removed from the flat to avoid any charges being incurred. Damage to the flat or missing items will be charged for in accordance with the publicised charges, displayed in Reception. All outstanding invoices must be settled prior to your departure. A final room and bedroom check will be completed at the end of your contract. If you wish to be present at the check, you should arrange an appointment.
How do I return my keys?
During office hours they should be returned to the Management Office. If you move out when the office is closed, you should put your keys in an envelope with your name and room number clearly marked, and return them to the member of staff on duty.
Will I get a deposit returned to me?
Host does not take deposits. All damages will be invoiced for after your departure.